Stomach Contents

This week I'll be spending most of my time at the University of Winnipeg, in the Province of Manitoba. You might be thinking what does stomach contents have to do with the university and the museum. Wonderful staff and a student are assisting me in breaking down stomach contents from a plesiosaur the CFDC found in 2004. A very rare find.

That's right we're literally dissecting out fish bones and teeth from a hard matrix (rock) and viewing our finds under a microscope. The process is a little more tedious and complicated but we love doing it.

I'm hoping to have enough preliminary research to present a poster at the upcoming Society of Vertebrate Paleontology (SVP) Symposium in Ottawa. I'll keep you posted. Keep your fingers crossed, everything goes well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is very interesting, we will be following reports on this, good luck with the poster.
Curator said…
As soon as I have more information it will be posted hopefully with some images.
Unknown said…
Hi, I'm starting a PhD in UBC about the fossil record of Fungi, and I would like to know more about "fossilized stomach content". I couldn't figure out which curator you are as much as I could find a email adress attached to this blog. Could you please contact me at ludovic.lerenard@gmail.com?

Best,

Ludo